When Billy claims he’ll eat anything, his friends challenge him to a bet that he can’t eat fifteen worms in fifteen days. At first Billy needs lots of mustard, ketchup and horseradish to get the worms down, but before the fifteen days are over, he has learned to like them.
Interest Level: Grades 3-5
Questions for Chapters I-IV:
1. Why does Billy agree to the bet?
2. Why does Tom say the others aren’t being fair to Billy?
3. What other dares has Billy accepted? Have you ever accepted a dare?
4. How does he prepare to eat his first worm?
5. How does Tom talk him into eating it?
6. Compare how Billy acts after eating the first worm and then after eating the second worm?
7. What would it take for you to eat a worm?
Questions for Chapters V-VII
1. Describe what Joe said would happen when Billy ate the peppered worm.
2. What did Billy do as he ate the last bite of the worm?
3. What is the most unusual thing you have ever eaten?
4. How did you happen to eat this unusual food?
Questions for Chapters VIII-X
1. Why do you think ChapterIX is called "ThePlotters"?
2. In your words retell the story Joe told Billy to frighten him.
3. What would you do if you were Alan or Joe to stop Billy from eating the worms?
Questions for Chapters XI-XV
1. Why did Tom want Billy to hurry and eat the fifth worm?
2. Tell about a time when you couldn't sleep because you were worried. What did you do to get to sleep?
3. What did Billy's dad say when he learned Billy had eaten five worms?
Questions for Chapters XVI-XXIX
1. Describe a Whizbang Worm Delight.
2. What do you use to change the flavor of a food you have to eat, but don't like? Does adding this to a food help?
3. Tell about a time when you've eaten too much junk food.